CVS Trippin' Yesterday

I had a motherlode of expired CVS Extra Care Bucks so DBF and I hit CVS on Noland before heading to Corner Cafe to meet his brother and wife for breakfast. (TIP for you KCers: if you accidentially let your Extra Care Bucks expire, you can head to any store in Independence. They'll accept them up to 30 days after expiration!)

DBF's transaction was pretty straightforward - just rollin' some ECBs. (Sorry for the blurry pic - it was taken from his cell phone.)



  • 2 CVS recycled bath tissue, $0.50 (used $1.00 scanner coupon) = FREE
  • 3 Trident gum 3-packs, on sale for $1.50 each (used $1.00 off 3 Q from 4/11 SS)
  • Dove shampoo, $4.49 (used $1.50 Q from 3/28 RP)
  • Dial NutriSkin body wash, $5.49 (used $1.00 printable Q)

Final Total: $10.98 (all paid for with ECB's) and got back $9.98 in ECB ($1.00 for Trident, $4.49 for Dove, and $4.50 for Dial) = $0.99!

Not bad, not bad.....DBF loves his gum, so that's just $0.33 per 3-pack.

Now it was my turn and this was much more complicated because I had the Recycle Bank $4 off $20 and all those expired ECBs that I needed to roll. AND we were late for breakfast, so the pressure was on.

Here's what I got:
  • 4 CVS recycled bath tissue, $0.50 (used two $1.00 scanner coupons) = FREE
  • 3 Trident gum 3-packs, on sale for $1.50 each (used $1.00 off 3 Q from 4/11 SS)
  • Dove conditioner, $4.49 (used $1.50 Q from 3/28 RP)
  • Dial NutriSkin body wash, $5.49 (used $1.00 printable Q)
  • Schick Hydro razor, $8.97 (for some reason I couldn't find my Q!)
  • Bioluxe conditioner, $9.99 (look for hangtags with the "try me free" Mastercard rebate) = FREE
  • Colgate Total, $3.99 (raincheck from March; used $0.75 Q)
  • Crest Pro-Health Rinse, $3.99 (another raincheck, used $1.00 Q)
  • 2 Skippy peanut butters, $3.29 each (used two $0.50coupons from the 3/28 RP)
  • Sara Lee white bread, $2.49 (used "FREE bread up to $1.50 wyb 2 Skippys" coupon from this week's Apple Market ad)
  • Used the $4.00 off $20.00 purchase coupon from Recycle Bank

Final Total: $40.76 (paid for with $40.48 ECB's and $0.28 cash) and got back $22.99 in ECB ($1.00 for Green Bag Tag use, $1.00 for Trident, $4.49 for Dove, $4.50 for Dial, $6.00 for Schick, $4.00 for Colgate and $2.00 for Crest). I'll also submit for the "Try Me FREE" rebate for the Bioluxe and get back another $9.99 on a pre-paid Mastercard.

Those Skippy peanut butters should have rang up as $1.50 each, so it looks like I'm going to have to head back for a $3.58 + tax refund. I would have caught it but we were in such a hurry to meet our breakfast buddies, that I didn't have time to check the receipt. And I would have done better with the coupons if I had been more prepared. So let's see, after the Bioluxe rebate and peanut butter refund, my total for everything will be $4.20.

Not FREE or a moneymaker run but, oh well, I guess you can't "win" every battle. I'm just happy to be getting rid of all those expired ECB's!

7 comments:

Alex M said...

I did well at CVS yesterday too! I earned 4 ECBs and I'm not sure which purchase got them for me. It's just nice to get that kind of surprise.

But can you clarify... is it that the CVS store in Independence accepted the coupons or are there other stores that recognize them too? Some stores will take a competitor's coupons -- so I wasn't sure if that was the case for you here.

ThriftyPuppy said...

Oooo...maybe you found a hidden deal! Would love to know what you bought and maybe we can figure it out.

As far as I know, the only stores in the Kansas City area that accept expired ECB's are any of the stores in Independence (that's according to the assistant district manager.) I think they also accept competitors coupons, but I've never tried it except for the prescription refill ones (which I know they do accept).

Alex M said...

OK, here's what I bought:

1 Right Guard Total Defense ($2.50 - 1.50 mannie)
2 Bumble Bee Pink Salmon $1.99 (a happy pup at home!)
2 Cover Girl Clean Base $6.00(BOGOF Q -- this might have been what generated the ECBs)
1 Berrio EVOO ($3.99 - 1.00 mannie)

I might have missed signage in the Cosmetics Dept for the CG base. The coup was in this week's Smart Source. So that might be a great deal -- you get the item for free and $4 more ECBs.

ThriftyPuppy said...

Hmm...the plot thickens. I've searched all over the place and can't find a mention of a Covergirl ECB deal. Does the ECB say what it's for?

claudia said...

was it for the quarterly spending maybe?

Alex M said...

The ECB doesn't say what it came from!!! Maybe Claudia has it right?

Anyway, I did a good "par-lay" with it. I went back last night and used my two L'Oreal Everpure and Everstrong coupons. And when I first got there, I scanned my card to get my dollar off paper-product (free toilet paper!). As luck would have it, a bunch of 75% off discontinued Right Guard products helped me get above $20. So I got my $27 worth of stuff for $7. I earned 5 ECBs on that along with my usual 4 off 20.

Check your CVS to see if they're changing their Deodorant planogram. There've been some good Right Guard coupons out there which would make these free (they're being sold at a buck). Especially now that you have all those extra SS and RPs to work with!

ThriftyPuppy said...

LOL! Thanks for the great tips, Alex. BTW, thanks for commenting, as I just discovered your blog and will be following it. It's very nice to "meet" you!

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Copyright © 2010 - Hounding with ThriftyPuppy - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template