A Look Back at March


So my goal for March was to "get back in the game" and take advantage of more rebates and freebie deals. I still have a huge stockpile to donate, although my hunny has gone through and catalogues it all for me. (Can you believe what a sweetie he is?!)

The only bad part is that our numbers are skewed for March because we did the freezer deal at Hy-Vee AND we bought the world's largest mountain of dog food because it was 65% off at Hy-Vee ($5.88 for a 20 lb bag). You can see one of our trips in the pic above. Somebody passed me as I was loading it into my Jeep and he said "wow! just how many dogs do you have?!" I just chuckled...

Total Retail of Groceries\Merchandise: $1,224.08
Total Out-of-Pocket: $301.65
Rebates received: $70.00

Total Saved: 75.4%

I'm not super-happy that our OOP was so high, but 75% off is nothing to sneeze at. My goal for April is to get those donations cleared out of the house, get my taxes done and start paying off our mortgage. I want to be completely debt free so that we don't have to worry about anything!

How'd you do in March?

3 comments:

slugmama said...

So what if taking advantage of the dog food deal puts your OOP a bit higher. Not having to buy dog food at retail for umpteen months will be a nice bonus as the result, right?
It's all good!
And 75% savings is great!!

Short On Cents said...

Just stopping by to say it's always nice to find fellow Missouri bloggers (not many around) Glad I found your blog.

Alex M said...

You always do well, so your extra spending this month, will pay off next.

But if you can, try to either store those bags in air-tight containers, or get the into a freezer.

While we went "over" in March that was due to a few necessities we had forgotten to plan for (heartworm test and meds for our dog).

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Copyright © 2010 - Hounding with ThriftyPuppy - is proudly powered by Blogger
Smashing Magazine - Design Disease - Blog and Web - Dilectio Blogger Template